Monday, July 18, 2011

Overcoming the car ride hurdle...

It is Monday and I already feel a great sense of accomplishment this week. I conquered the 3-hour roundtrip drive to our North Shore lakehome by MYSELF with all three kids. This is a big deal in my world. We love our family lakehome, but our trips have been sadly limited due the complicated scheduling dance it takes to secure another adult passenger for the drive up and back. Well, this past weekend, I decided we were ready. We were ready to it on our own. I timed everything perfectly, stocked up on snacks, gathered up some Baby Einsteins and the kids' current fav, Toy Story 3, packed the car, loaded up the kids, and hit the road...with all my fingers crossed.

The car ride wasn't too bad. It wasn't relaxing by any means, but it wasn't so bad that I wouldn't do it again. The kids weren't able to sleep, because they kept waking each other. That was a big bummer. But, I have become a semi-pro at throwing objects to the third row seat, so whoever sits in the way back doesn't go neglected. That is a plus. I was 5 for 5 on the way up: one binky, one blanky, one snack trap, one sucker, and one apple...right into Joey's lap. Nice. The kids get a kick out of it too, so it's kind of a win-win (except for when I miss). I also did a lot of explaining (why some trees are short and some are tall, why the road is bumpy, why bugs splat on the windshield, why construction causes traffic jams), changed the DVD a couple times, and lead a few sing-a-longs. Needless to say, it was still a busy 3 hours, even though we were in the car.

So, we all survived. We all had a great time up north with Meemee and Poppa. I LOVE that another door has opened for me, and we will be back up to our wonderful North Shore lakehome soon!! :-)

Oh, and this is the only pic I have to post of our wonderful weekend. That's how busy we were...not able to take ONE photo until the babes were asleep. Hahaha

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe. You can accurately throw an apple into the third row while driving?!? Those are some serious skillz. Congrats on the accomplishment! I bow to you...

    ReplyDelete