Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Shopmama Blog #1: The Heck You Say...TWINS?!?


Hi, I'm Heather, and I'm the mother of a toddler and newborn twins...and, yes, that was supposed to be read like a support group introduction. On October 23rd, 2009, my life changed drastically. Joseph Henry and Eliza Ann were born, and made my comfortable family of three a busy family of five. Yes, the babies were conceived naturally. No, twins do not run in my family. Needless to say, it was a HUGE surprise. Allow me to start at the beginning...

When I was 12 weeks pregnant, I went to my doctor’s office for the 1st-trimester screen. I didn’t care all that much about the actual tests. To be honest, I just wanted the ultrasound. My doctor doesn’t order ultrasounds for healthy pregnant women, so with my first child, I only had one ultrasound at 20 weeks. I knew I couldn’t wait that long the second time around (and I WAS feeling unusually large), so I decided to take the screen. When the technician put the “wand” on my belly, here’s what I saw:

So, if that’s not totally obvious, I don’t know what is! Twins. Unbelievable.

Now, I’m going to be brutally honest here…this photo didn’t thrill me. In fact, it terrified me. My husband and I hadn’t planned on another pregnancy. I wasn’t even sure if I wanted another baby! Of course a million thoughts ran through my head, but mostly all I could think was, ‘man, were in for it.’ Oh, and I should also add that I’d thought I’d jinxed myself. My whole life (until I had my daughter and discovered what it was like to have ONE baby) I’d always said, “I want twins.” Well, really now, it never crossed my mind that I could have twins as my second and third children! Jeez.

The next few months passed without complication. My blood pressure was never higher than 112 over 62. I hadn’t gained too much weight. The babies consistently passed their biophysical and non-stress tests. At one point, my doctor even called me a “pregnancy champion.” I was extremely grateful I was able to be up and about, “running” around after my daughter, Linnea. This was all fantastic, but I was still very apprehensive about the impending doom…oops, I mean arrival of the twins.

I know most soon-to-be parents are delighted about their pregnancy and ecstatic about the baby’s arrival. I was the polar opposite. As I mentioned, I was terrified. I was SO worried about Linnea and what this would do to her perfect little world we’d created together. Also, we’d have to re-budget, remodel Linnea’s playroom into the babies’ room, load up on more baby gear, buy a freakin’ MINIVAN…etc, etc. Our world was going to change, and I wasn’t sure I was okay with it. I rested on my belief that God doesn’t give me more than I can handle (but he was definitely testing me to the highest degree).

Fast forward to October. Here I am in all my 38 weeks pregnant-with-twins glory the week I delivered:

Ok, I think it’s time to make a REALLY long story short. Introducing Joseph Henry and Eliza Ann:

Joseph Henry - Born 12:02pm * 7lbs 2oz * 20 1/4in

Eliza Ann – Born 12:04pm * 5lbs 10oz * 19 3/4in

Well, that’s my story (in a nutshell). I’d love you to join me as I write about adjusting to life with a toddler and newborn twins. There will be ups and downs, and backs and forths, and probably some sideways too. I welcome all kinds of feedback: comments, criticisms, suggestions, and advice. I’m amazed each day by how much there is yet to learn about parenthood. A lot of the time, YOU will be my connection to the outside, “adult” world…at least until the weather warms up and we’re able to come out from winter hibernation. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment