6/6/2010
So, I’m starting to think I’m becoming slightly (ok, maybe a little more than slightly) neurotic. I’m using the term loosely, of course, as a diagnosis for my growing list of “mom-ish” pet peeves. Now, these pet peeves cause me fairly significant emotional stress at their occurrence. Before I had children, I probably wouldn’t have even blinked an eye at such occurrences. It’s amazing how parenthood changes us in SO many different ways. You’re probably wondering about these pet peeves…here’s a short list:
1). Solicitors ringing my doorbell during nap time. Why this bothers me: It’s loud and my bulldog goes ballistic. Getting all three babies asleep at the same time is like winning an Olympic gold medal (so I would think). When there is a taped sign over my doorbell that says, “don’t ring,” I expect NO ONE to ring my doorbell…especially during nap time. Common sense, solicitors, common sense.
2). Drivers that tailgate. Why this bothers me: I’m driving a minivan, which obviously means the likelihood of children in my car is high. Not to mention the two infant car seats that are clearly visible through the back window. Also, I’m not an overly cautious driver. I keep up with traffic and I’m respectful of the left-hand “fast” lane rules. There should be no reason to tailgate my minivan.
3). Cheetos and/or cheesy snacks. – ’nuff said.
4). People who bring their unruly children to not so child-friendly places (nice restaurants, salons, etc.). Okay, if your sitter cancels on you at the last minute and you absolutely HAVE to bring your child, fine…but don’t act like he/she has a right to disturb the peace. Be apologetic, and if it gets really bad, leave. Don’t punish those of us who did pay a sitter. Oh, and don’t pretend you’re unaware your children are unruly. Chuck E. Cheese’s was invented for a reason.
5). The upsell at the drive-thru. Why this bothers me: I’m usually short of time when going through the drive-thru, and often have crying babies in the back. It’s fast food, for gosh sake. I know what I want. You don’t need to try to sell me your Angus Deluxe Burger, and then cut me off when I start talking by switching to the real drive-thru dispatcher. Annoying.
So, there you have it. I sound like a meanie, but these are [some of] the things that drive me crazy now that I’m a mommy. Hey, nobody’s perfect, right?! I could also go on to list all the things I’ve become obsessive compulsive about since having children. Darn mommy neuroses…
No comments:
Post a Comment