Thursday, October 7, 2010

Shopmama Blog #7: ...and to Cap it all off

5/28/2010

::Trend Alert:: What’s the newest trend in baby accessories? The elusive CranioCap. What, might you ask, is that? And, where can you get one?! Allow me to enlighten you. According to www.gillettechildrens.org, the definition of “craniocap” is “a cranial orthosis custom-made for your baby.” In layman’s terms, it’s a helmet for babies with flat heads. Now, this flat head thing is a fairly new medical issue in baby world, and it’s happening mostly because of the “back is best” movement. In most cases, it’s not a major issue and it’s easily correctable. The long and short of it is this: some babies come into the world with a preference for lying on one side of the head. Since it is now recommended to place babies on their backs to sleep, a growing number of babies are developing flat spots on the preferred side. The CranioCap was created to ensure infant cranio-perfection (among other things).

So, as if I don’t have enough on my plate these days, BOTH Joey and Eliza are now sporting the helmet look. This adds some daily helmet maintenance and baby washing to my already busy routine. Great. If I have to remember to do ONE more thing in my day, I might lose my mind completely. In fact, I’m pretty sure I’m still working on losing the pregnesia from this past pregnancy. I have my fingers crossed that this helmet stage will be as short-lived as possible.

In all honesty, though, it’s not that bad. It didn’t take long for Joey and Eliza to get used to wearing the Cap (for 22 hours a day), and it’s already starting to work it’s magic. It’s also kind of nice the babies’ heads are protected from the occasional topple-over from their newest skill, sitting up. Oh, and they’re also protected from the occasional (not so gentle) love taps from big sister Linnea. Plus, it’s kind of fun to run into other mommies of helmeted babies while running errands…always sparks interesting conversations.

Anyway, just when I’m thinking, ‘jeez, God, could you put one more thing on my plate?’ I remind myself that I’m lucky. I’m lucky to have two healthy, strong babies. In reality, there could be MUCH more on my plate. I’m extremely thankful I have happy, healthy babies that are headed to perfection. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment